Monday, January 23, 2012

Anthony Green plays Boston

 I flew into Boston on Wednesday on a red-eye flight for the first time in a year and a half, or so. Since I transferred to UMass I've always flown into Hartford because it's so much closer to my college and the ride I need to get me there. So I got to ride Jet Blue which is always awesome, can you say legroom and one free checked bag?! Anyway, the reason I did that was because I was seeing Anthony Green at the Paradise Rock Club that night with Cal, not that he wanted to go, but someone had to go with me right? We stayed at his sister's place, got Thai food with her and her boyfriend and managed to make our way to the bus to take us to the venue, which was near the west side of Boston University, even though it was cold as icicles. The Dear Hunter was the opening act and they were just amazing, the lead singer has such an incredible voice, perfectly on-key and full of vibrancy. If you haven't listened to them, you should, and if you haven't seen them live, get on that. Anthony Green was great, of course, and his backing band was the boys from Good Old War, which is even better. AG just loses his melon on stage in the best possible way. I have to say though, the crowd in Boston was much different than the crowds in, say, Pomona, CA where I'd seen Circa Survive or San Francisco and Sacramento where I saw AG solo. The crowd was pretty boring, actually, and they didn't really get into the music the way I and my fellow west-coasters seem to. He played "I'm Dying to Reach You" as one of the encore songs and the crowd peeked at a tepid 6. And that was the high point of the night. I'm definitely glad I went though, it had been about three and a half years since the last time I saw him in any form so it was long overdue. If you get a chance to see Anthony Green on his tour "Beautiful Things" promoting the amazing new album, take advantage of it. But watch out because shows are selling out fast. 

 

No comments: