Friday, December 09, 2011

French Food Friday: St. Nicholas

 My host dad is from Alsace, France, which is a region bordering Germany and historically has switched hands between France and Germany many times, making the Alsacien culture a mixture of French and German influences. St. Nicholas is one of those German traditions celebrated every year on December 6 and includes presents for the kids and for my host family, making and eat "les bonhommes" (good men). They're a type of bread similar to brioche and you dip them in bowls (yes you heard me, BOWLS) of hot chocolate for dinner. My host family also decorated their house for Christmas that day and had me close my eyes when I came in the room so I would get the full force of their pretty little tree. If you look closely at the photo above, you'll be able to find the clever addition of my host mom, a bonnefemme!


No comments: