Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Ash Wednesday

I am going to church for dinner and service in about 15 minutes so I figured I would write a little. I practiced with the women's club soccer team for two hours on Sunday, played my first intramural soccer game on Tuesday (lost 4-0, but played 2 men down and no subs) and got AHEAD in reading for one of my classes. That is a first. But that's not really what I want to talk about.

Lately, I have had this nagging feeling that I am not doing enough. Not in a "you must stay crazy busy at all times" kind of way.. but more in a "you should be doing something more meaningful" kind of way. My brain and my heart have been telling me that I should be organizing something, leading something, and changing something. Being in two political science classes, I read about revolutions and rebellions and grassroots movements that started with intellectuals and college students. COLLEGE STUDENTS. Can you imagine? It was college students like me (and like some of you) who created the Free Speech Movement, the Civil Rights Movement, and even the law that requires all sidewalks be equipped with those wheelchair accessible dips, or ramps, if you prefer. I discovered that I am not content with just living a "college life" and going with the flow, simply having fun. These are some of the most crucial years of my life where I can get away with doing these changes.

I am thinking of starting and organizing a weekly community meal at my church for homeless, people at the chapel, students, and families to come have a warm meal who may not be able to afford it otherwise. I'm going to look into it tonight, I think.

I also miss giving blood and running blood drives. Does that make me a vampire? A vampire for good?

1 comment:

Ciarra said...

Yay I am glad you are going to church for Ash Wednesday. I went today at 12 then had to rush to class. I am writing a blog about that shortly so I will spare you the details for now lol. I miss giving blood too. They have them on my campus but at the most inconvenient times so I have yet to be able to donate since I have at LnHS. That is really cool that you are going to try to organize what you talked about. I don't know how you have the time to do so much! It's funny that so many of your examples about what college students have done actually happened at Berkeley. Ironic? Maybe...