Tuesday, September 04, 2012

The World's Largest Seafood Stew

Yesterday, UMass had a huge (free) barbecue for all of its students while they attempted to make the world's largest seafood stew.

Unfortunately, the food was terrible. The chicken was hard, the fish was hard, the burgers had no pickles, you know. But when I saw a crane lifting up what looked like a giant metal pie tin, I realized that all might not be lost after all.

They were in the process of cooking a giant stew. I personally witnessed bacon, carrots, potatoes, turnips, oil, chicken broth, cream and lots of salt getting thrown into that giant thing. Containers were stacked on the side of the roped-off area that said "99 lb" on them with food inside.

The chefs were using over-sized utensils to move all of the food around that included rakes, shovels and pitchforks. Yes, pitchforks. They were working up a pretty good sweat too, as they raked pounds and pounds of food around a giant pie tin.

Did we win? Did we get the Guinness World Record for largest seafood stew? 

I don't know, I left once I got bored. But according to various news articles, WE DID. 6,700 lbs of newly fattened students say we did. And I am just so, so proud.

(P.S. As you can see in the photos, it looked pretttty gross while they were sloshing it about)



No comments: