Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Quick Pancakes

When Cal left for class this morning, he miscalculated the time he had so he wasn't able to eat breakfast.  On his way out, he yelled "Have pancakes ready when I get back!" jokingly. I thought it was a joke too, until it was an hour later and I decided to look up a recipe... it helped that I was suddenly ravenous.

I found this recipe online and made it from scratch. It was incredibly easy and they were incredibly delicious. I followed a few tips from another reviewer, which may or may have not made them better. You'll have to find out by experimenting!

Here's a list of ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • (+ 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)



These are the the super secret instructions I followed per one reviewer's suggestions: 

"I DO recommend sifting the flour, twice. That makes for a fluffier pancake. Let your egg and milk set at room tempurature and use unsalted butter. Beat your egg, add the melted butter and beat lightly until blended, then lightly beat in your milk (careful not to overbeat your egg). Add to your dry mixture."

When I decided to make these, Cal was still an hour-long class away and I didn't know exactly when he'd be back, so I measured everything out, put the milk, egg and butter at room temperature and waited.... and waited... and waited... and when I knew Cal was about five minutes away on the bus, I threw it all together and started making them. 

End product? Pancakes just out of the pan as he walked in. I looked like a great person and I didn't even have to break a sweat. Plus, they were absolutely fantastic. 

We each ate four and put another four in the fridge to heat up later, so this batch makes a grand total of 8 3-inch diameter pancakes. 

No comments: