Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Fire Alarms Do Not Like Humidity

Today, I was watching some Martha Stewart Show until House came on, when suddenly all three of my fire alarms started going off. Spontaneously. Loudly. With no cause. After about a minute of blaring and me hoping it would stop like it started, I called my apartment managers and they sent over a maintenance guy. Although he was probably here within ten minutes, it felt like FOREVER. I essentially was sitting on the couch with my hands over my ears trying not to go insane by that high-pitched triple threat beeping. It turns out that a vent got detached from a dryer in the laundry room, which is right next to my apartment, and the humidity in that room started that fire alarm going, and the humidity somehow transferred into my apartment, setting mine off as well. Five minutes later after a re-attached vent hose and lots of open windows, my fire alarms were re-attached without them turning my apartment into an off-key concert hall. Ahhh the silence.

1 comment:

William said...

Well it's pretty common that moisture buildup in a room will pretty much destroy everything inclusive of wallpaper, carpeting and electronic devices. Probably the worst atmosphere for an electronic device is a humid one or one with plenty of moisture in the atmosphere. However i'd look into a different fire alarm for your safety in the future.



fire blankets