Thursday, July 21, 2011

Packing

Tomorrow I'm leaving for Boston for two days and packing for that has made me think far too much about packing for France. Packing for a four month trip is daunting in itself, but add on to the fact that you're packing a month before you have to leave and you also have to pack for hot hot Southern California desert weather at the same time, and the task gets ridiculous. The climate I'm going to in France is like Berkeley weather, 50-70s all year long and rainy. So I'm simultaneously packing for two different climates! It's scary. I've already started making lists of what I need to bring just for France, for France and California and what I need to bring and leave in California.

Over-thinking? Maybe, but this is serious stuff! I have to pack everything I'm going to need in a new country for four months right now!!

2 comments:

Julia said...

I feel stressed just thinking about packing for two different climates! I had to a little bit, for my three week vacation to CA, UT, and Canada, but it was just for one week each place, so it wasn't too bad. Good luck!!

Katherine said...

In my experience packing for a year in London, don't overpack. You will buy a LOT while you're there (and you want to- it's fun to have things afterwards and say "I bought this while I lived in France" and you'll quickly figure out how to buy the things you need cheaply). Pack as much underwear as you possibly can so you can avoid doing laundry. Bring what my mother calls "disposable clothes"- things that can get destroyed/left behind without shedding tears in exchange for new things you buy there (not just clothes but other things you'll get there). Also, sketchers makes some great shoes that are fancier than sneakers but still great for walking- they are worth the money. You will walk a lot, and you should because you see so much more that way, and good walking shoes are essential (the sister missionaries in NYC swear by them!). Shipping from Europe to the States is painfully expensive so when you come back it's really worth it to pay for an extra bag on the plane, but even that is awful so leave as much space as you can going there (or, as I said, disposable clothes). Also, layers are your friend. One camisole can complete like five or more outfits with a few different basics. Tights also saved my life a lot- a jean skirt that was great for the summer was great in winter when worn with heavy tights and boots. Also, this: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90297199 is surprisingly helpful