Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Mass Murder

So as everyone knows by now, Osama bin Laden was murdered by some navy seals of ours after ten years on the run. While this is good news (because I mean, come on.. it's been ten years!), it's not really something I think people should celebrate. Not because I don't think he deserved it, because 21 years of American-style justice has been pounded into my head, but because death is not a happy occasion. And celebrating because someone died is probably one of the least compassionate and most arrogant and self-centered things that we Americans could do. I mean, it's not like we have such a good image with the rest of the world to begin with.

The kind of celebration I'm discussing is like what happened on my campus on Sunday night, where there were riots in the dorms and they set fire to dumpsters while chanting in unison "USA! USA! USA!" This is the type of hysteria that leads to mass prejudices, mass murders, GENOCIDES (if you remember this earlier post). Literally a matter of days after I am worried about people losing sight of their compassion, it happens.

Anyway, here's a little tidbit I overhead while volunteering today, paraphrased:
"The US has known where Osama has been for ten years. They've been working with him! They've been using him and now they decided to go behind his back and kill him."

No comments: