Thursday, February 03, 2011

Coq au vin

On Saturday, I made use of my new ability to purchase alcohol to cook coq au vin, or chicken in wine. I found a simply recipe online here that was easy to make. I made a few embellishments on the recipe just for funsies. The ingredient list for the recipe online is as follows:


- Fresh chicken
- 1/2 bottle red wine
- 2 large onions (or 4 medium onions)
- ¼ pound (125 g.) of bacon
- 4 cloves garlic
- Bouquet garni (or 4 bay leaves)
- 1 cup (250 ml.) chicken broth (not absolutely required)
- Butter
- Flour










I didn't have a bouquet garni, I substituted vegetable broth for chicken broth and decreased the entire scope of the recipe for two people. I used six chicken tenderloins (free range and all that stuff), The Little Penguin cabernet sauvignon and merlot blend, added carrots, celery, a few sprigs of thyme, and some Herbs Provence (from the spice set that Cal got me for my birthday). I eyeballed the liquid to just cover the chicken and it broke my heart not to eat the freshly cooked bacon.

Anyway, here's a picture. It looks kind of gross but it's so so good.

No comments: