Sunday, August 15, 2010

Family Values

The older I get, the more "old-fashioned" I get, not only because I want to make everything homemade, from scratch, and myself, but also because of the goals I have for my future. This is especially true when it comes to the idea of my family. I want more kids than I used to, I want to be a housewife and I want to homeschool (at least for a while). But the more people I tell about this, the more people disapprove by telling me that that's not good enough for me, that they're disappointed I wouldn't do something MORE. But all I can see is how great of a challenge being a housewife would be. Not only would I want to keep my household running smoothly as my end of the bargain, but I would get a chance to be ultra-creative by making new menus, playing around with dishes, and making sure my family and I eat healthy. Not just that, but I would have time to actually do all of my hobbies, like paint, knit, tat, sew, read, write, and do super cool things like make my own cheese (still wishing for that). And I can't imagine anything more mentally and physically demanding than teaching a child one-on-one.

Now obviously, I have more time to think about this and maybe I will change my mind, but for now this is the most difficult but rewarding career I can see myself in.

What do you think about stay-at-home mothers/wives? And homeschooling? Do you have family members who are housewives?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always say that I'd be perfectly content just being a housewife. IT's my dream. But we can't just assume that, as women, our lives will work like that. That's the reason I'm getting my degrees. I need to have something to fall back on because we can't always depend on a man, sometimes we have to be superwoman!

Julia said...

My Mom stayed at home with us (but refused to home school us because she wanted us to learn to deal with people we hate... *cough* middle school *cough*) and, looking back, she is amazing. My siblings and I are super close to her and she was always there when we came home from school every day to ask how our day was. Something little, but that was so sweet and constant. I think you're right, too, housewives need to know a LOT more skills than someone in, say, business. How many executives do you think know how to cook lasagna from scratch? Or can sew their kid's Halloween costumes? Or even the little things, like know if their kids like tuna?

Those people who say you should do MORE can suck it. NO one has done more amazing things than people who chose to stay at home. If you've read my blog it probably feels like I'm doing a 180, but I just hate feeling like I HAVE to do something (it's strongly encouraged in my religion), even if that's what I want. And I do want to stay home with my kids, because I don't want anyone else to have their trust like I trust my mom. Sorry this is uber long! But I'm sure one day you'll make a fantastic mom no matter what you chose :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing guys! You're both awesomee. And don't worry Julia, I understand that you're not doing a 180; just because you want to be a stay-at-home mom doesn't mean you want to be one right this moment. :)

Anonymous said...

I think being a housewife and mother is probably the HARDEST job you could have. With me having 3 jobs currently and raising 3 kids on my own...fabulous kids at that...i think if you are able to stay at home and raise your kids...cook...be creative and possibly home school...that would be the BEST! Unfortunately, unless your husband is a career minded, financially stable person, you may not be able to do that. I totally support you getting your college degree and never having to use it because of your family life. You will be successful and amazing in whatever you choose to do in life!