Saturday, January 02, 2010

Pro-Love

I don't believe in abortion. I would never get one, I hope none of the people I love would get one or need to get one. But I have some serious issues with the "Pro-Life" group and their extremists and I would never call myself one of them.

First, abortion isn't necessary now on so many levels. If someone has unprotected sex and especially if they get raped, there is the morning after option that doesn't kill a fetus if it is already implanted and only prevents ovulation. There is no killing involved and it is a safe way to prevent an unwanted pregnancy if birth control fails or if a rape occurred. Also many people who got abortions as teenagers or as adults attest that it always haunted them and they felt the need to make amends for that decision. Alright.

Pro-Life people are not pro-life. They bomb abortion clinics, kill doctors who perform abortions, set fire to houses and clinics with patients, people, and families inside of them. That is not a pro-life attitude but one saying that they are judges that an unborn baby is more important than an adult human life. For a pro-life group, they really only subscribe to the right to life of fetuses and not other humans while in fact, everyone is equal and has an equal right to live no matter who they are or what circumstances they are in. People should base their views on everything on pure, selfless love for all people and not judge who gets to be alive and who gets to die because they do not possess the capacity to judge their equals. The Pro-Life extremist groups are exactly the same as the people they are "fighting against."

I also have issues with government control of abortion. If families and communities performed their responsibilities of educating themselves and each other on resources available and what principles they should hold, then government control of abortion would not be necessary. This issue needs to be resolved in the social, not the political sphere. Everyone needs to come at the situation with love and an open-mind instead of turning into stubborn bigots every time the subject gets brought up. No one likes to listen to someone who won't appreciate their point of view, but most everyone can be swayed by natural reason.

I believe in Pro-Love. What about you?

3 comments:

Doug said...

I agree that the "Extremeists" are in fact not pro-life. However, I am one of those Pro-life people, but I disagree with the "day-after" pill. It actually does not stop ovulation. It stops implantation. If that act of intercourse led to the fertilization of an egg, then the morning after pill keeps that from developing into a fetus. In my study of the Old Testament, I have come to this decision about when life begins: When the fetus has blood. And as best I can tell, that is about day 12. So, ultimately, the morning after pill is just the taker playing God by deciding for Him if a pregnancy will happen.
Regarding Gov't control, I think you are spot on. We need less gov't, not more, and by making it a moral issue, then the gov't can stay out. Good luck this semester!
DM

Sunny said...

I just think that in some cases abortion is necessary, such as when the mother's life is in danger (end a life that hasn't started or one that isn't finished, you know?), incest (esp. by rape) and rape. Some women keep the babies from rape but if someone never wanted a baby, teenage girls, students, stuff like that, sure there's adoption but there are so many kids that never get adopted, and so many bad foster homes...it's just...I dunno. So, I don't think "oh, haha whoops Im a slut, abortion time!" should be reason for an abortion (not that that happens a lot) but how do you regulate it...you can't. It has to be one or the other because then everyone would say they were raped, etc. My mom said something about taking a certain medication and that if she got pregnant while taking it she'd get an abortion because the medicine can cause 'flipper babies' etc.

So i mean, I dont think it's black and white
i believe there is pro or anti choice. no one is pro ABORTION like no one thinks 'yay'

Julia said...

I completely agree with you, Jill. Extremists of any kind bug me, because they're often hypocritical and miss the big picture. You are a very wise woman.
I don't judge people who have had abortions, but I believe there are better options. My cousin used an adoption agency for her baby, and she was able to pick exactly who she wanted to raise her child. Foster care is not the only option.