Thursday, March 14, 2013

Happy Pi Day!

If you haven't noticed, I'm a pretty big nerd. And today is 03/14, also known as Pi. In high school, when I was on the robotics team, one of the things we did was spend the entire school day taking shifts to write out Pi in chalk along the campus. We started at 3 and went for another (I think) 2,000 digits. There was even a map for the chalkers, so that we utilized the maximum amount of campus real estate without having the numbers run into each other. Apparently it was quite controversial, because more than one teacher called security on us. Luckily though, the principal was on our side... And had been forewarned. I think.

As another facet of that, I memorized the digits of Pi up to 25 places past the decimal point and knew them for about a year after that. That definitely won me points at the robotics competitions. Unfortunately my skills have since lagged and I'm not even entirely sure that 4 comes after 1.

Eat some pie! It's the perfect, once a year excuse.

No comments: