Thursday, December 20, 2012

Alt Gr

At work, I type on a French keyboard. On a Mac, typing accents is easy but doing the Alt codes for accents was getting to be too much, so I switched to an AZERTY French keyboard. It's been awesome and after the first couple days I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I used them while I was in France so it came back to me in no time.

The problem, though, is that I have a Mac at home and when I work from home like I've been doing since Tuesday, I am remoting into a PC. Which means that I am remoting from a Mac English keyboard to a PC French keyboard. Which means my keys don't correspond, so I have to use the Pc command to copy paste, instead of the Mac command. Oh it took a while to get a hang of it.

The problem is that the French keyboard has buttons that need a third shift- either shift+control or the Alt GR button. I haven't been able to make a # or @ sign since Monday! Until today, when I found some random blog where the guy has a French based Mac remoting into a French PC. The magic buttons? Ctrl+Alt. one problem solved. But now I can't make < or > because the actual button doesnt exist on my keyboard, and those are really important in HTML!

Did I mention that my Mac has a QWERTY layout and I have to type the AZERTY layout by memory? It's been an interesting week, haha.

 

No comments: