Monday, November 05, 2012

Hair Confessions

Okay people, I have a confession to make.

I haven't washed my hair with shampoo since June.

Yeah. And I love it. My hair has so much more body, doesn't need product, and after some training, only needs washed every couple weeks. On top of that, it has become so ridiculously soft that it's as soft as fresh baby hair.

Instead of using shampoo and conditioner with a bunch of chemicals that strip my scalp and hair of moisture and add waxy chemicals that coat it and hold it down, I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar every 2-3 weeks. I also do a scalp massage in just water every few days to get rid of any build-up and to help my hair grow (scalp massage helps, seriously).

My specific routine involves about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in 1 1/2 cups of water. I put almost all of the mixture in my hair around my scalp, scrub and massage my scalp and hair line and let it sit and soak in for the rest of my shower. When I'm ready, I add the rest of the ACV, massage again and rinse. Then I take about 1 tbs of baking soda (sometimes more, sometimes less), add a little water so it becomes a paste, and scrub that into my scalp and hairline, especially around the crown area. Rinse very very well.

There are different ways of starting off with no shampoo, all of which involve your head freaking out and over-oiling for a while, because that's what it's used to. Eventually it realizes that it can stop producing so much oil and your hair won't seem dirty. (It won't ACTUALLY be dirty if it's oily and you rinse your scalp, oil is not dirt! It's natural!)

You can google "no shampoo", "no 'poo", "baking soda shampoo" etc. to find out all of the different ways people have been doing this. What you really have to do is be patient with your head, stick it out without cheating, try not to use hair products and figure out the right proportions for your head.

If you're going to try, tell me! After about two weeks, Calvin started doing it too. His hair was greasy for about three weeks and then it was just perfect all of the time. It was much faster than mine and I theorize it's because he has much, much less hair. So this works for boyfriends! And husbands and brothers and uncles and ....

(I'll update this with some photos later, it's too dark and badly lit to take any good ones right now)

No comments: