Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Thunderstorms

I spent most of Sunday staring out the window at the rain falling. All morning it was sun, kids riding bikes, chasing each other, deciding the rules to a new game. As it progressed into late afternoon, the light faded enough so that opening the blinds wouldn't suffocate this third floor apartment with heat, so I did and found thick rain pooling in the parking lot and heard the pitter patter of drops, different for every surface. There were the asphalt drops, the sidewalk drops, the car drops. Then crashes of thunder followed by white light illuminating the dark clouds. The thunderhead was clearly visible, with blue skies peeking through way to the east. I sat, and I watched, and I breathed in the fresh damp air flowing in through the window as another bout of thunder rolled in the sky.

 

No comments: